If you cannot define what you are doing as a process, you do not understand what you are doing”. W. Edwards Deming
Different lean philosophies
Companies must continually improve their performance in order to satisfy their customers. They are increasingly demanding innovation and quality. Also, if we want to see our company move ahead in the upcoming fiscal year, we need to work towards operational excellence to really put our best foot forward.
Operational excellence consists of three parts:
- Process optimization
- Organization improvement
- Culture evolution
Finally, this can be implemented through different lean philosophies.
The aim of lean IT is to improve the performance of the CIO (Chief information officer). Its central concern, applied in the context of IT, is the elimination of waste, where waste is work that adds no value to a product or service.
- Aligning the CIO organisation with business and business challenges
- Strengthen the culture of management by performance, risk management and continuous improvement to increase the credibility and give more transparency to businesses. Also, highlight the ability of CIOs to create value.
- In order to optimise the work distribution based on individual skills, show the human capital of the CIO. Also, structure and value the expertise of management.
Lean Engineering aims to optimise the design, development and production processes of new products or services. In fact, 80% of the products cost determined by the engineering design. Therefore, engineers must make the right choices, early in the process, to ensure customer satisfaction and low lifecycle cost.
Also, it has to answer the following questions:
- In what ways to reduce the new product implementation time?
- How to control the costs of a new product designing?
- How to develop the innovation process in the company?
- What are the ways of production optimisation?
- How to reduce waste in the development process?
- In what ways to boost operational excellence of the teams?
- How to prioritise work dynamically on an engineering platform?
Value-added tasks represent 10 to 20% of processing time. With the lean office in order to increase productivity, manage processing times, optimise expenses and reduce development time, we focus on 80% of wasted time.
Moreover, each employee can increase the value of their work by setting realistic target with a SMARTER goal.
Your knowledge of business functions allows you to quickly identify your issues and performance drivers. Furthermore, applying lean principles to an office environment can have significant benefits in improving workflow process.
Lean finance involves simplifying, streamlining, and harmonising essential finance processes to create a leaner, more efficient finance operation. Reduced operational cost is only one goal of lean finance. It can also dramatically boost speed, flexibility, and quality of the finance function and enable finance teams to deliver services of greater range and value.
The objectives are:
- Finance department functions optimisation
- The production financial information reliability & acceleration and the closure of accounts
- Financial operations optimisation (Procure-to-Pay, recovery ...)
- The optimisation of the budget processes and forecasts
Also, lean answers to critical questions about customers priority and they critical needs (quality, time, cost).
LEAN MARKETING & SALES
The benefits are primarily based on introducing process thinking and understanding to sales and marketing staff.
The objectives of lean Marketing & Sales are:
- The management of the marketing projects portfolio (on-line and off-line)
- The definition of the objectives of the Marketing and e-commerce actions and the management of the costs of the campaigns and marketing tools in relation to the targeted ROI.
- Lastly, the agility of the processes of realisation of the marketing deliverables for the internal customers.
Finally, lean Marketing & Sales responds to key questions about clients' marketing projects and critical needs (quality, time, income) highlighting the processes, tools and resources through KPIs.
In conclusion, different lean philosophies can be very useful in boosting operational excellence because it allows responding quickly and easily to the questions. However, take your time to define your goals in advance!